Nicole Hallissey MS, RDN, CDN
1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 small apple, diced
3 chicken breasts, diced
½ cup quinoa, rinsed
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup black beans, soaked and drained
1 cup frozen or fresh corn
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powered
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon sriracha , divided
1 Tablespoon plain Greek yogurt
6 lime wedges
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a medium sized bowl coat chicken with 1 tablespoon siracha sauce. Add salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder and mix until chicken is fully coated.
3. Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and spread evenly on a baking sheet. Add butternut squash and onions to the baking sheet. Using your hands, toss vegetables in oil until fully coated. Place in oven for ~ 30 minutes.
4. In a medium size pot, bring 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Once boiling, add diced chicken and boil for approximately 10 minutes.
5. Add the quinoa to the broth with chicken. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Once squash and onions are done in the oven, carefully transfer to a blender. Add the apple, jalapeño, 1tablespoon of siracha and 3 cups of chicken broth. Puree until smooth.
7. Transfer puree to the pot. Add the corn and black beans. Mix all ingredients and boil for another 5 minutes or until the soup is hot.
8. Garnish with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, sliced jalapenos, a drizzle of sircaha and a lime wedge.